So my second attempt was with some lovely fabric from a vintage bed sheet given to me by a friend. I liked the light airiness to it and thought it would be a nice option to go with jeans.
So ahead I went, using the same size as last time (unfortunately my breasts have not reduced in size) but thinking maybe it would hang nicer as I'm now minis the pregnant belly.
BUT no..... Wearing this top I look like a giant square. I need to be longer in the bodice or slimmer in the hips to pull this off. I would take either!
The only adjustments I made was to lower the armscye by about 2cm and increase the side seam allowance to reduce the bulk, although I could have brought it in a lot more. I also sewed down the french seams on the shoulders for a smoother finish.
Overall I'm happy with the construction and the seam finishes, even if this top is totally unwearable for me. I'm loving the bias tape finish at the neck seam too. First time I saw this method was on the Darling Ranges dress (that I'm yet to finish as I started that while pregnant last year, why, I don't know!)
A lesson learned: pay more attention to what suits my body shape. It will save a lot of tears in the future!